Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

hooked on houses


Happy Friday!!! I have been following "Hooked on Fridays" weekly blog party for some time. This is the first time I am going to try to participate, (if I can get all the linkage right). Check out the Hooked on Houses blog site and enter to win a free portrait of your house by the very talented artist Fifi Flowers. She paints really cool things.
http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/05/07/hooked-on-house-portraits-giveaways/

Anyway, I am hooked on painting as you can tell from my blog. I thought I would post these 2 portraits of a house I looked @ almost daily for many years. I worked @ Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Michigan as a nurse for over 30 years and this was the house across the street from the hospital. I loved the Victorian house. Over the years it fell into disrepair. The hospital was rapidly growing around the house, and eventually it was sold. Then the whole house was moved a few miles away to a new home! I wish I had pictures of the house moving down the street. It was quite an event. Now there is a parking lot where this house once stood. sigh...

I felt I had to paint the house to remember it. The first painting is what I imagined the house looked like many years ago - I added the hollyhocks and other flowers on the porch. The second painting is a more "dreamy" image. The first painting hangs in a Sparrow Hospital office - so I feel that something of the house remains behind.

I am glad someone cared enough to rescue this lovely Victorian and gave the house a new home.

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment